Twenty one percent of WA’s population and more than ninety percent of export value come from the regions with much of that concentrated in a dozen regional centres of populations less than forty thousand. As a results innovation in the regions is different to metropolitan areas: less density, closer to industry, different skillsets, lots of ingenuity, some incredible infrastructure (thanks to royalties) and with very attractive lifestyles!
Incubators can help focus and nurture ideas in regions, and they perform much better when partnered with metropolitan and international organisations. Already some partnerships have developed that leverage resources to improve the reach, quality and benefit of support to early stage, innovative ventures.
Now is a great time to reach out and partner with incubators in WA’s regions: some well-established incubators are growing through international connections, and State and Federal government funding is coinciding with a groundswell of emerging new incubators, programmes and entrepreneurs.
Below is a snapshot of some of the locations, opportunities they are working on and ways in which you could consider partnering.
If you want introductions to any of the existing or emerging incubators, please contact the Incubator Facilitator with specific requests or some information of your sectoral, geographic or other focus.
Locations (North to South)
- Kimberley - Kununurra, Broome
- Pilbara - Port Hedland, Karratha, Newman
- Mid West - Geraldton and North Midlands
- Wheatbelt - Northam and across the Wheatbelt
- Goldfields - Kalgoorlie and Esperance
- Peel - Mandurah and North Dandalup
- South West - Bunbury, Busselton and Margaret River
- Great Southern - Albany and Denmark
- Outer Metro - Yanchep and Butler
- Resources Tech
- Premium Foods
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Creative Industries incl. Film
- Specialist Machinery
- Manufactured Products
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Industrial 3D Printing
- Social Enterprise
- Cultural Products
- Square Kilometre Array
- Hemp Industry
Types of incubation Activities
- Specialised industry development zones
- Co-located research, education and commercialisation facilities
- Coworking and creative industry spaces
- Pre-accelerator and accelerator programs
- Entrepreneurship education (one-off and accredited)
- Meetup and networking groups
- Pitch nights and seed funding
- Innovation festivals