Pan-American Life Insurance Group (PALIG) covers over 5.8 million lives in life, accident, and health insurance and began in 1911. They have earned an “A” rating by both A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings, a status that only a select few companies have achieved. PALIG services 22 countries throughout the Americas, and their Medicare Supplement, also known as Medigap, plans are available in 28 states.
Pan-American Medicare Supplement Plan Choices
Plans A, F, G, and N are available in most states, but the only way you can get Plan F (or high-deductible F) is if you had Medicare Part A before January 1st, 2020. If you can answer “No” to all the health questions, then you may be able to pass underwriting. If you are in an Open Enrollment or Guaranteed Issue period, including ending your employer group insurance or COBRA, you can purchase a Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, policy without any health underwriting, and you don’t have to worry about passing the health questions.
Pan-American Life Insurance Group uses a paper application to maximize simplicity for applicants. If you apply outside of your open enrollment period, Pan American may call over the phone to verify the information on your application. They offer both tobacco and non-tobacco rates for Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, policies.
Additional Benefits with Pan American Medicare Supplements
31-day grace period: You have 31 days from your renewal date to pay your premium. Your policy will stay enforced during this time.
Renewable guaranteed: As long as you pay your premiums on time, your policy cannot be canceled. You will always have the option to continue your coverage.
No single rate increases: Regardless of how many times you receive benefits, PALIG will not increase your rate unless they increase it for everyone with your plan with your classification in your state.
Applying with Pan-American if You’re Not in an Open Enrollment or Guaranteed Issue Period
A single declinable medication alone can disqualify you from being accepted by Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, providers. However, PALIG may give you special consideration for certain medical conditions that other companies would not. This is not a guarantee that you would be accepted, but it’s something they are willing to talk with you about and hopefully approve.
Rheumatoid, crippling or disabling arthritis, degenerative bone disease, spinal stenosis, or joint replacement advice usually means a decline from most Medicare supplements, but with PALIG, they will not automatically decline you. They will want to know if you need the assistance of another person. They want to know if you use a cane, wheelchair, or walker too. To qualify for the Pan American Medigap plan, you need to disclose all the medications you have taken and how long you have been using them.
You may not be consider if you had treatment or medication changes within the last 2 years for certain conditions like diabetes. Diabetes and high blood pressure are common conditions that keep applicants from being accepted by many Medicare supplement, or Medigap, providers. Your diabetes needs to be well-controlled and taking less than 50 units of insulin daily. If you don’t use insulin but you do use other medications for diabetes they will not accept more than two oral medications for diabetes as well as two medications for hypertension. Your blood pressure will need to be no higher than 150/85 with or without medications. As long as you don’t have any of the following conditions, then there’s a good chance your diabetes diagnosis will be okay with them.
- Any type of heart condition or congestive heart failure.
- Had a history of a stroke or TIA
- Peripheral vascular disease or poor circulation
- Neuropathy or numbness in hands, feet, or legs
- Retinopathy or any eye disorder (not including cataracts)
- Kidney disease
- Skin ulcers or had an amputation
Heart conditions often lead to a decline with many Medicare supplements, or Medigap companies. Pan-American Life Insurance Group may offer you coverage if you have not had any changes to your heart medication or treatment within the last two years. Conditions that are eligible for this include heart attack; heart, Coronary or Carotid Artery Disease (excluding high blood pressure); Peripheral Artery, Vascular, or Venous Thrombotic Disease; congestive heart failure or cardiomyopathy; stroke; TIA; or heart rhythm disorder. If there have been no changes in the past two years, you may be eligible for coverage with PALIG.
Other conditions that Pan American may accept for coverage that many Medicare supplement companies would not approve. They include; internal cancers, alcohol or drug use, amputation caused by disease, and mental or nervous disorders requiring psychiatric care. Changes to your medication or treatment for any of these conditions within the past two years, you will disqualify you for coverage.
If you have a condition below, call (614) 402-5160 to get advice on other plans that will accept you. Just fill out the form on the left and one of our independent agents will call you to find another Medicare Supplement (Medigap).
*Please note: This is not an all-inclusive list.
- Hospitalized, in a nursing home or assisted living facility, or receiving hospice or home health care
- Bedridden, wheelchair-bound, or requiring the use of a motorized device
- Emphysema, COPD, or other chronic pulmonary disorders
- Parkinson’s Disease, systemic lupus, myasthenia gravis, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis with related fractures, cirrhosis, or chronic hepatitis
- Alzheimer’s, dementia, or other cognitive disorders including delirium, organic brain disorder, or other cognitive impairment
- Chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, or kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Confined to a hospital 3 or more times in the past 2 years
- Advised to have cataract surgery within the next year
- Advised to have surgery, medical tests (excluding HIV/AIDS/ARC), treatment, or therapy that has not yet been performed
- Previous or recommended organ transplants
- Use of oxygen or a nebulizer
- A defibrillator or combination defibrillator/pacemaker
- Medications that must be administered in a doctor’s office
Getting help finding out if you qualify and getting the Pan-American Life Insurance Group Medicare Supplement is simple. Call (614) 402-5160 or fill out the form on your left.